Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Does Anyone Know This Artist?



I was going through my old sci-fi/fantasy paperbacks and came across this ACE Double of "Flight From Yesterday" by Robert Moore Williams and "Envoy To New Worlds" (A Retief novel) by Keith Laumer.

I just love the cover and I'm positive that I've seen his/her artwork before. I would love to see artwok like this on current RPG material today! If anyone knows this artist, could you drop me a line. I'd just like to see more art similar to this. I've been brushing up on my painting skills lately (pun intended) and would like to come up with some paintings that are inspired by (not ripoffs) paintings such as this.

4 comments:

marjasall said...

The artist is Jack Gaughan, 1963.

Atom Kid said...

Thanks, Marjasall! The book didn't credit the artist. It looks like I have quite a few Andre Norton books with his illustrations on it too!

marjasall said...

There is a book I can recommend, if you like to see alot of different styles of fantasy art, including alot of "classic pulp" kind of stuff. It's a coffee table sized book called "Fantasy Art In The 20th Century". It's an excellent picture book filled with fantasy art book covers from the genre's beginnings to the present.
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-20th-Century-Illustrated-History/dp/1888054522

Apparently there is a Science Fiction version of this book as well, that I had not seen before (and now I'm going to have to pick up). http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction-20th-Century-Illustrated/dp/1888054298/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Atom Kid said...

Thanks! I think I've seen that one before, but haven't really checked it out.