Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Favorite Science Fiction Novels

And I mean "Science Fiction" in the broad sense like it used to mean back in the 1950's, no sub-genres. This isn't really in any order of importance, this is just a list of books that have been important to me through out the years.

1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury


2. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien


3. Conan by Robert E. Howard


4. Dune by Frank Herbert


5. Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs


6. Bill The Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison


7. The Puppet Masters By Robert Heinlein


8. At The Mountains Of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft


9. The Witch World by Andre Norton


10. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley


11. American Gods by Neil Gaiman


12. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess


13. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle


14. Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart


15. Dragon Flight by Anne McCaffrey


16. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick


17. Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber


18. Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein


19. Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock


20. Hrolf Kraki's Saga by Poul Anderson


21. Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg


Okay, so it turned out to be an odd number. Maybe I'll do another 21 later!

7 comments:

Brian Murphy said...

Nice choices. I haven't read them all, but the only one I'm completely unfamiliar with is Bill the Galactic Hero. Nice to see Hrolf Kraki's Saga on the list! That book doesn't get enough love.

Jeannie Lin said...

Great list. Golden age sort of flavor there.

Many of those would make my list. I'd add Foundation by Asimov to mine.

Atom Kid said...

Hi Brian. I've read Hrolf Kraki twice, it's such a great read. But I've always been a sucker for stories about Vikings.
Bill The Galactic Hero is a fun series!

Jeannie, I've started Foundation a couple of times but haven't finished it. Not because I didn't like it, I just got distracted with other reading. One of these days I'll finish it.

Kellybot said...

Chad - which of these would be good for someone (me!) who has a relatively new interest in science fiction? I love me some Firefly, but never could watch Star Trek. I loved Wrinkle in Time, but I think that's the last time I read anything in the science fiction realm.

Atom Kid said...

Good question, Kelly. If you are looking for humor, I would go with Bill The Galactic Hero. It's not even remotely serious, and is a bit risque as well.

Another series would be The Dumarest series by E.C. Tubb. It's got a Flash Gordon feel to it, very pulp serial.

A lot of people really like the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. I thought it was okay, but had way too much technobabble. A similar series, that I thought was better was The Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. It's kind of like Horatio Hornblower in space. Very space opera!

Hope this was helpful.

Kellybot said...

Yes, very helpful - thanks!

Robert M. Lindsey said...

Some very cool covers, esp Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Rings, Tarzan, Puppet Masters, Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, and A Wrinkle in Time.

RetroHound.com