Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Am I a minimalist, or just a jerk?

I've been thinking about minimalism in gaming, and how that's what I'm drawn to. I love Swords & Wizardry and Tunnels & Trolls as far as Role Playing Games go. I'm also starting to get into Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. for wargaming. All are what I consider to be rules light.



But then I was thinking about everything else I like tending towards the minimalistic. Like music for instance, I like blues, rockabilly, punk, bubblegum pop etc. and most of the songs I listen to tend to be under 3 minutes long. From The Ramones, The Muffs, Motorhead, The Groovie Ghoulies, The Runaways, The Drags, The Mummies...etc. to Slim Harpo and Howling Wolf. I love Badfinger and Big Star on and on, you get the picture.



TV shows that I enjoy have been cancelled after one or two seasons (the only exception being The X Files), like Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, Arrested Developement.




I don't know, I guess I'm just rambling, but was wondering if minimalism is a sort of elitism at the same time....

7 comments:

Eli Arndt said...

I wouldn't say you are a jerk though your preferences seem to mirror a general trend I seem to see so much these days in which people tend to hem themselves into a particular framework.

This has always seemed odd to me as I enjoy simple and complex, subtle and outrageous.

When it comes down to it, what decies whether you or not you are a jerk is how you react to other things outside your preferences and how you treat those who enjoy other things.

Atom Kid said...

Maybe I meant cane shaking curmudgeon. :)

Sham aka Dave said...

Our tastes are similar in many things. I just find I can better relate to art or music or even gaming material when it's still rough around the edges. Overproduction removes the spontaneity and saps out the vibrant creative/artistic side for me.

Eli Arndt said...

I would say that for the most part I agree with you Dave.

Though I don't think that overproduction necesarily removes spontaneity and creativity, it can. The flip side of that coin is, that for some, the greater level of detail and production can spark others to imagine things they may not have been able to on their own. It's like a jumpstart for an imagination that may have gone dead.

I am finding that the detailed systems that appealed to me in my 20s are less appealing as I approach 40. Time, schedules, and other factors all conspire against me and make the simpler, less system-intensive systems more viable and thus appealing for me.

I have also realized recently, thanks to becoming involved with OSR stuff, that my games did not suffer for lack of systemic details in the ways that I assumed they had.

AlinCT said...

Dude, you had me at Motorhead:-)

By the way, I just saw your pic with the three orcs and troll. Great stuff! Keep it up.

Al

Atom Kid said...

Thanks, Al! Motorhead fans are always welcome at my blog!

日月神教-任我行 said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社