Monday, November 9, 2009

New Wave or Used Wave

In the last 3 or 4 years or so, we've seen a resurgence of music that copies the style and sound of the eighties. Pop culture seems to remake the past, usually being nostalgic for twenty years ago. I'm not complaining, this is one of my favorite eras of music! Although it makes me wonder if someone is going to try and bring back grunge, one of the worst genres of music? Here's a few videos from some newer bands that play what I like to call Used Wave music.

Here's a Swedish band called The Shout Outlouds, this song reminds me of The Cure's "Inbetween Days".





Bloc Party reminds me of the Police, a little bit anyways...



Interpol seems to have it's roots in the music of Joy Division.



Speaking of Joy Division, check out the Killers cover of Shadow Plays.





Even though these bands aren't really breaking new ground, this is a welcome change from the complaint rock and bad r and b of the 90's and 00's.

5 comments:

Gilligan said...

Recycled, Remade, and "Reimagined" films in the theater... and the same is true for the stuff on the radio! Like you, I welcome musicians inspired by new wave acts, but when are we going to see some true originality?

It's true that all musicians borrow from one another - that goes for everyone from Clapton to The Beatles. However, they took what they heard, reinvented it, and brought something new to the table.

Atom Kid said...

Yeah, I can't think of any really innovative music today. Maybe Tool, but personally I think they're terrible.

I can't think of anyone past Sonic Youth, that was really breaking new ground.

A Paladin In Citadel said...

cold play = new order

Atom Kid said...

I'll still take New Order over Coldplay. Coldplay is mainly a singles band, they haven't really produced a whole album that I could listen all the way through.

A Paladin In Citadel said...

me too.