Friday, July 10, 2009

Wargaming in Conan's Hyborean Age



I've been wanting to wargame in Conan's world for years, I don't know why I've never gotten around to doing it. I think historical miniatures will work perfectly, I just need to figure out what figures would best represent each nation.

Here's my list so far:

1. Aquilonia - Late Roman
2. Stygia - New Kingdom Egyptian
3. Shem - Assyrian
4. Hyrkania - Mongols
5. Vanaheim and Asgard - Viking
6. Cimmerian - Celtic
7. Vendhya - Indian
8. Picts - Aztec or Native American
9. Corinthia - Ancient Greek or Macedonian
10. Argos - Early Roman
11. Zembabwei, Kush, Punt - Zulu or Lost Tribes of Africa
12. Zamora, Iranistan- Bedouin
13. Turan - Ottoman Empire
14. Khitai - Han Chinese
15. Meru - Tibetan
16. Zingara - Franks or Saxons

If anyone has some better matches, please let me know. I am also trying to decide what rule set to use. Warhammer Ancients is a decent ruleset, Armati and Battle Lust are also a consideration. Broadsword Adventures intrigues me but it's more of a skirmish game. And I'm also interested in Broadsword (which is an off-shoot of Lin Carter and Scott Bizar's rules "Royal Armies Of The Hyborean Age".

3 comments:

Reis O'Brien said...

Celts are perfect for Cimmerians. Specifically the Scots (picts) during the Roman occupation of the British Isles.

Just find a bunch of Socttish/Picts and paint their hair black!

Reis O'Brien said...

Wait... what about Koth?

Atom Kid said...

Maybe Ottoman Empire would be better for Koth than Turan. Or possibly Byzantine...I'll have to think on it.