Saturday, February 21, 2009

My 5 favorite viking movies! (Okay, so maybe that's all I could come up with)

I've got a thing for vikings, I am after all a son of thor (my last name is Thorson). Or maybe it's the grim, nihilistic, hirsute warriors that are the inspiration for so much swords & sorcery and pulp fantasy tales.
Whatever the reason is, I like the mead drinking, Odin swearing oafs! And here's my movie picks!

1. Pathfinder (2007)

Based on the graphic novel by Laeta Kalogridis with art by Christopher Shy. It's a dark tale about a viking boy raised to manhood by a native american tribe. His adoptive tribe is wiped out by a horde of viking pillagers, and he sets out to rescue the few survivors and lead them to safety.

A great graphic novel and movie! The vikings aren't presented in a historical way, they look more like chaos marauders from Games Workshop's fantasy wargame Warhammer. But it's a great action tale, and well worth a watch!




2. The 13th Warrior (1999)

Based on the late great Michael Crichton's novel The Eaters of the Dead. This was a tale that tries to explain the plausibility of the epic of Beowulf. The viking portrayals were for the most part historical, although some of the armor was anachronistic. And from what I've read about the vikings, they rode ponies and small horses, not the the great steeds they rode in the movie. With that aside the action was great, and the enemy they faced (the Vendor) were fearsome. It's definitely one of my favorites.



3. Viking Sagas (1995)

This was a well done film, that really captured the feel of viking culture. The whole thing was filmed in Iceland and the directors used Icelandic actors for most of the film, and Sven-Ole Thorsen (from Conan the Barbarian, and The Road Warrior) and Ralph Moeller (from The Gladiator, and Conan the Adventurer t.v. series). Some of the action scenes were sub-par but the story was excellent!



4. Erik the Viking (1989)

A hillarious Terry Jones parody of viking myths and legends! Some vikings undertake a dangerous quest to valhalla, to persuade the gods from starting Ragnarok. It's been a while since I've see this one, but it's a great movie, kind of Monty Python's Quest For the Holy Grail only with vikings. I think I would've liked it better if Tim Robbins wasn't in it, but we can't have everything can we?



5. The Vikings (1958)

Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine as vikings! What more could you ask for? Two half brothers fighting for the control over their kingdom. A great adventure story, and it still passes the test of time!

2 comments:

Keith said...

Out of these movies you named, I really love The 13th Warrior and The Vikings.

Calvin's Canadian Cave of Cool said...

13th Warrior is always on a double feature with Mask of Zorro for me and mine. Loves me some Bolvy very much...mutha knew how to DIE like a KING!