Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chill the role playing game

When I was in 4th grade, I discovered horror movies for the first time. First, I got into the Universal horror movies and then Hammer House of Horror and then zombie flicks. I've been hooked ever since!

When I was in 7th grade, a buddy of mine (John) had an older brother (Richard) who was into rpgs, he had one in particular that really interested me. It was called Chill (by Pacesetter Games) My brother and I stayed at John's house one night, and we begged Richard to run Chill for us. It was already 1:00 A.M. and I could tell he didn't want to do it, but being the nice guy that he is, he ran a quick game for us. We were in some castle in eastern Europe and there was a werewolf in the castle. I remember my brother was firing his pistol in the dark, and he ended up hitting an killing my character, before being eaten by the werewolf. Now I know Rich killed us off quick because he wanted to go to sleep, but I remember the experience was fun.

I later found out another friend of mine wanted to sell his copy of Chill, so I jumped on that right away. And then a few years later, Mayfair Games released a newer version of the game. I bought a copy of it but didn't like that it was set in contemporary times. I prefer the Victorian setting that Chill was set in (although the rules for modern weapons and technology were there).

I used to run a game every now and then for my brothers, but never really got involved with a gaming group (at least not with Chill). Now it's sitting in a box somewhere packed away in my garage. I think I'm going to dig it out and see if any of my gaming buddies will play.



4 comments:

Darius Whiteplume said...

Wasn't there an Elvira edition of Chill, or am I just thinking of the one with the vampire chick in the graveyard?

Atom Kid said...

I think there might have been an adventure module with Elvira on the cover. I'll have to do a search, if so I must get one!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I found:

2015 Evenings of Terror (Presented by Elvira)

I found a site with a bunch of PDFs on it. It is a torrent site, which I avoid on my laptop (too many virus opening :-) Interested, it is here.

Eli Arndt said...

Another one of my favorites. I especially loved the books they did on Vampires and Werewolves.

Vampires Ninja, anybody?

-Eli