Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Boot Hill western RPG

As a kid, I grew up watching westerns. From The Lone Ranger, John Wayne movies to Spaghetti Westerns. Westerns have never failed to grasp my imagination! Heck, I used to live in Lois L'amour's home town, Jamestown, ND (it's not much to write home about).

TSR used to print a ruleset for old west style role playing. It was called Boot Hill! I've always wated to role play out a western setting, and maybe use an idea or two from the many movies I've seen and books that I have read. I've owned a copy of the B.H. ruleset to years, but have yet to play it, mostly due to lack of interest with my gaming buddies. One of these days I'll rope some gamers into playing it.

I wonder if Boot Hill falls under TSR/WoC open gaming license?



4 comments:

Darius Whiteplume said...

I never played Boot Hill, but it would make a great d20 game. You'd use those skills like intimidate more often. Maybe add some feats like "scary looking" or "known outlaw" - they already have "quick draw" and other useful ones. d20 Modern probably cover the weapons.

Hmm... :-)

Atom Kid said...

Not a bad idea Darius!

There's a couple of newer systems that kind of intrigue me also.

Gutshot, it's more of a table top skirmish game, but it looks pretty fun! http://www.hawgleg.com/

Aces and Eights. I've heard that it's fun, but very rules heavy. http://www.kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/

Gunslingers & Gamblers - this one looks cool too, and has supernatural supplements if you want werewolves and vampires in your campaign. the only drawback is that it seems to be pdf only. I just emailed the company to see if they have a printed copy. http://www.fjgaming.com/

Joseph said...

Alas, Boot Hill does not fall under the OGL. Pity-- it was a nifty little game.

I second the Aces & Eights recommendation. Great stuff, even tough I'd use it with a more historical setting, rather than the alternate universe (Texas its own country, CSA and USA still around, etc.) they provide.

Eli Arndt said...

I have heard good things about Gutshot! I keep my copy of 3rd Ed. Boot Hill around for reference material. Especially love the section statting up famous historical and fictional characters.

-Eli